If you are looking for an effective artificial replacement for your natural teeth and gums, dentures might be the right solution for you! Nuera Dental Center is pleased to offer partial or full dentures.
Your Downtown Calgary Choice for Dentures!
What are Dentures?
Also known as false teeth, they are dental appliances made up of prosthetic teeth worn by those who have lost their natural teeth due to injury or illness. Constructed to replace missing teeth and to provide support for the cheeks and lips, dentures are supported by the surrounding soft and hard tissue of the oral cavity. They may be removable or dental implant supported, full or partial, and they can replace teeth on the upper maxillary arch or the lower mandibular arch.
- Full Dentures: If you have lost, or are losing, all of your teeth, full dentures might be right for you. Full dentures are removable and fit inside of your mouth along your gum line, replacing all of your missing teeth.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are used when some of your natural teeth still remain. They provide a very natural looking tooth replacement option, while also helping to maintain the natural spacing and alignment of your natural teeth, jaw line, and facial muscles.
- Implant Supported Dentures: They are held in place by dental implants that are placed in your jawbone. Rather than resting on your gums and affixed using adhesive, the way traditional dentures do, they are anchored in place securely by dental implants that are embedded in your bone. They function and look just like natural teeth, so you can eat all types of food without the dentures moving or dropping down.
How are Dentures Made?
Most dentures at Nuera Dental Center are made of acrylic and can be fabricated in two different ways. A conventional denture is made after all teeth have been extracted and the tissues (gums) have healed. An immediate denture is fabricated and inserted immediately after the teeth are extracted and the tissues are allowed to heal under the denture. An upper denture has acrylic, usually flesh-coloured, that covers the palate (roof of the mouth).
A lower denture is shaped like a horseshoe to leave room for the tongue.
The prosthetic teeth are made of plastic, porcelain, or a combination of both. Dentures can be fabricated to fit over endodontically-treated teeth and a complete denture can be attached to dental implants to allow for a more secure fit of the appliance.
- Improves ability to bite and chew your food properly
- Restores your face appearance
- Protects the remaining teeth from further damage
- Allows you to clean and brush them properly as they can be removed
- Eliminates social awkwardness faced by your because of gaps and missing teeth
Over the normal course of time, dentures will wear and need to be replaced or realigned in order to keep the jaw alignment normal. The alignment will slowly change as the bone and gum ridges recede or shrink due to the extraction of the teeth. Regular dental examinations are still important for the denture wearer so that the oral tissues can be checked for disease or change.
If you are looking for a long-lasting and aesthetically pleasing restoration for one or more missing teeth, dentures might be the perfect solution for you. Whether you are transitioning into new dentures, or you are dealing with uncomfortable and loose-fitting existing dentures and are looking for more support with implants, Nuera Dental can help. Call us at (403) 228-3088 to set up an appointment today.